Whenever I speak to a new business owner, the conversation inevitably ends up being about social media. One of the questions I often get is – should I be using social media for my business? Here’s the thing, I use social media and I love using it. I love the fact that I can instantaneously share my thoughts with people that will listen. And I love that I don’t have to spend time waiting on-hold when I want to share an opinion with a company’s customer service department. This is why your company needs to be on social media, because I’m not the only person that feels this way.
According to emarketer.com nearly one in four people around the world use social media. That’s crazy! Or how about these statistics:
- Total number of minutes people spend on Facebook per month (collectively): 700 billion*
- Total number of posts/content shared on Facebook per month: 70 billion*
- Total number of unique YouTube visitors per month: 490 million*
- Average number of Tweets on Twitter per day: 190 million *
- Average number of pictures uploaded to Flickr per minute: 3,000*
- Average number of pictures posted to Instagram per day: 55 million**
- Total number of likes on Instagram per day: 1.2 billion **
- Approximate number of Corporate accounts on Pinterest: 500,000 ***
- % Of total social referrals to commerce sites from within Pinterest: 20% ***
Think about these numbers for a minute. If you post something and your friends see it, and then they repost your post for their friends to see, and then those friends repost it for their friends, and so on and so on, then the probability of exposure is exponential. That is some serious networking!
Where I live, business is all about networking. There are more than a dozen networking groups meeting on a weekly basis. Some are great, they actually refer business to their members. And some are just an excuse to meet up with friends for breakfast or lunch. Few are able to expose your business to others, and none are able to expose your business to the numbers in our stats above.
Should I be using social media for business, you ask? What do you think? If you’re not on social media yet, you need to really consider making it part of your marketing strategy. If you don’t have the time, drop me a line, maybe I can help.
Want to learn more? Sign up to receive tips from Small Business Breakthrough directly in your inbox.