You want to build your following and you want to build it fast. After all, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to reach more people – or is there?
Why paying for followers isn’t the answer
We are a society of impatience – especially if you’re conducting business in the good ‘ole USA. Getting more likes, followers, fans, connections, etc gives us the illusion of popularity and progress. The reality, however, is just because we have more likes on our page – it doesn’t mean that we can convert those followers into new business. Remember, social media is awesome, but believe it or not, there are certain things that social media can and can’t do.
But it’s cheap!
Who doesn’t love a good bargain? There are numerous services online that offer 1,000, 2,000, 10,000 followers for next to nothing. Sure, I can sign up for their services, send some money and 1-2 days later, the number of followers increased tremendously.
Here’s the trouble with that, there is no rhyme or reason as to who likes your page. Andrew Leonard wrote a post for Salon.com where he summarized the problem with fake likes –
“Fake likes don’t represent real “engagement” with your page. They don’t translate into comments on your posts, or result in those posts being shared with other people. And that’s a big deal, for a subtle reason: Facebook’s algorithm decides how prominently to feature your posts in News Feeds by paying attention to how often your friends and followers engage with your content. If you post something new, and all those people who previously liked your page proceed to actively comment on it and share it and like it, Facebook will automatically give that post a boost. But if all those thousands of people who have liked your page never show up, your content gets downgraded, and nobody sees it.” (Read the full article here)
So what’s the solution?
Here are some tips on how you can increase your following organically.
- Let people know that you utilize social media and how to find you.
- If you’re just starting out, invite your friends to like your page (or your Instagram feed, or become a Twitter follower – you get the picture). Who better to cheer you on than the people that support your dreams?
- Create posts that inspire people to share your content. Every time your content is shared, it appears in their newsfeed, allowing their friends and followers to also see your content.
- Post when your target audience is most likely to be online. Not sure when the best time is? Click here to view an info graphic that may help.
- Post regularly and be consistent. Once a month isn’t going to cut it. Posting should be done at least once a day.
- Apply the 80/20 Rule of Social Sharing to your posts.
- Engage with your audience. Answer questions, make comments, be present in the conversation.
Social media is all about building relationships. And, as you know, relationships take work. Resist the temptation to pay for fake followers, even if the numbers are attractive. Build your reach organically. I know that it can seem like an impossible feat at times, but I promise you, it doesn’t have to be difficult if you use the tips listed above.